Last Updated: August 21, 2023
This California Job Applicant Privacy Notice (“CA Job Applicant Notice”) explains how Telos Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies (collectively, “Telos,” “we,” “us”, or “our”) collects, uses, discloses, and otherwise processes personal information about our California-based recruits and job applicants.
This CA Job Applicant Notice is not a contract and does not create any legal rights or obligations not otherwise provided by law. This CA Job Applicant Notice also is not intended to replace other notices or disclosures we may provide to you in connection with your interactions with our organization as a California-based recruit and/or job applicant.
What is Personal Data?
When we use the term “personal data” in this CA Job Applicant Notice, we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to an individual within the context of the individual’s role as a recruit and/or job applicant. It does not include aggregated or deidentified information that is maintained in a form that cannot reasonably be used to infer information about, or otherwise be linked to, a particular individual. Where we maintain deidentified data, we will maintain and use the data in deidentified form and not attempt to reidentify the data except as required or permitted by law.
Our Collection and Use of Personal Data
Collection of Personal Data
During the recruiting process and when you apply for a job with us, we collect personal information about you, which may include the following professional or employment-related personal data:
- Contact Information: such as full name, email address (personal and work), home address, business address, telephone number, and emergency contact information.
- Professional History & Qualifications: such as previous employers, positions and work experience, professional licenses, certificates or other qualifications, employment references or referrals, and information relating to potential conflicts with the role the individual is applying or being considered for.
- Education & Training Information: such as highest level of education, schools attended and dates of attendance, degrees, certificates or other educational qualifications earned, and transcripts or training records.
- Compensation Information: such as desired salary, bonus, benefits, expenses, and stock or equity grants, as permitted by law.
- Equal Opportunity Information: such as age, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability or accommodation request, or marital or veteran status when an individual chooses to provide them, but this equal opportunity information will not be used in employment-related decisions unless specifically permitted by law.
- Web-Related Information: such as technical details about the individual’s visit to our online services contained in log files or analytics data relating to their usage and activity on our online services. For more information, please refer to the general Privacy Notice on our website. The Privacy Notice governs our use of information collected from our website visitors. If there is any conflict between our website Privacy Notice and this CA Job Applicant Notice, the CA Job Applicant Notice will govern with respect to our use of personal data in connection with recruiting and job applications.
- Background Check and Reference Check Information: when permitted by applicable law, we may choose to conduct a background check and/or a reference check in connection with an individual’s employment such as to verify professional and educational history and qualifications or identify criminal history that may be relevant for a position with us. The results of the background check and/or reference check may include personal data we do not already have about the individual who is the subject of the check.
- Other Application and Interview Information: any personal data the individual chooses to share with us in their interview or application, CV, resume, transcripts, or other supporting documentation.
- Inferences: We may generate inferences or predictions about job applicants and their abilities, interests, or preferences based on the other personal data we collect and the interactions we have with them.
Although we often collect the personal data described above directly from you, we may also collect certain information from references, recruiters, job-related social media sites (such as LinkedIn), and publicly available sources. In addition, we may also collect this information through service providers and other third parties that collect it on our behalf, such as communications providers, scheduling providers and application providers.
Use of Personal Data
We use the personal data we collect during the recruiting process and when an individual applies for a job with us to:
- Identify the individual as a potential candidate and review their application for a position with us;
- Verify the information provided to us in connection with their application or received from other sources;
- Determine their eligibility and suitability for the potential position or other opportunities with us;
- Facilitate the recruiting and interview process;
- Communicate with the individual about the status of their application or other opportunities with us that may be of interest to them;
- Assess and improve the performance and success of our recruiting and hiring process;
- Conduct internal investigations, audits, compliance, risk management, problem resolution and security operations;
- Fulfill contractual obligations to recruits, applicants and other third parties;
- Comply with applicable law, rule, regulation, legal proceeding, and government investigations, including relating to tax reporting and immigration.
Please note that if an individual accepts an offer from us, we may transfer the personal data we collected about them during the recruiting and job application process to their personnel file with us.
Our Disclosure of Personal Data
We may share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes described below:
- Within Telos: We share personal information relating to recruits and job applicants within our family of companies for internal administrative purposes and uses that are consistent with this CA Job Applicant Notice. For example, the Telos entity responsible for the job posting may share personal information about an applicant with another Telos entity that is responsible for our organization-wide recruiting and employment decisions.
- Recruiters and Job Application Providers: We often engage recruiters and job application providers to assist us in identifying potential job applicants and processing job applications we receive. In order for these third parties to assist us in the recruiting and job application process, we share personal information about potential and current personnel with them.
- Other Service Providers: In addition to the third parties identified above, we engage other third parties to perform certain functions on our behalf in connection with the uses of personal information described in the Our Collection and Use of Personal Data section above, including assisting us with our recruiting process, personnel management, and other related business operations. Depending on the function the third party serves, the service provider may process personal information on our behalf or have access to personal information while performing functions on our behalf.
- Business Transaction or Reorganization: We may take part in or be involved with a corporate business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, or financing or sale of company assets. We may disclose personal data to a third-party during negotiation of, in connection with or as an asset in such a corporate business transaction. Personal data may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
- Legal Obligations and Rights: We may disclose personal data to third parties, such as legal advisors and law enforcement:
- in connection with the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims;
- to comply with laws and regulations or to respond to lawful requests and legal process;
- to detect, suppress, or prevent fraud;
- to reduce credit risk and collect debts owed to us;
- to protect the health and safety of us, our customers, or any person;
- or as otherwise required by applicable law.
- Otherwise with Consent or Direction: We may disclose personal data about our recruits and job applicants to certain other third parties with their consent or direction.
The following personal information elements we collect may be classified as “sensitive” under certain privacy laws (“sensitive information”):
- Information relating to racial and ethnic origin, religious beliefs, health, disabilities, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Social security number, driver’s license, state ID, and/or passport number.
We use this sensitive information for the purposes set forth in the Our Collection and Use of Personal Data section above.
We do not sell sensitive information, and we do not process or otherwise share sensitive information for the purpose of targeted advertising. However, subject to certain legal limitations and exceptions, you may be able to limit our processing of sensitive information (as described in the Your Privacy Rights section below).
No Sales or Targeted Advertising
Except as otherwise described in our Privacy Notice in connection with job applicants acting in their capacity as website visitors, we do not sell personal data about individuals acting in their capacity as job applicants, and we do not share or otherwise disclose personal data about individuals acting in their capacity as job applicants to third parties for the purpose of displaying advertisements that are selected based on personal data obtained or inferred over time from an individual’s activities across businesses or distinctly-branded websites, applications, or other services (otherwise known as “targeted advertising” or “cross-context behavioral advertising”).
Retention of Personal Data
We retain personal data only for as long as is reasonably necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected. However, if necessary, we may retain personal data for longer periods of time, until set retention periods and deadlines expire, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, tax, and accounting requirements set by a legislature, regulator, or other government authority.
To determine the appropriate duration of the retention of personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of personal data, and if we can attain our objectives by other means, as well as our legal, regulatory, tax, accounting, and other applicable obligations.
Once retention of the personal data is no longer necessary for the purposes outlined above, we will either delete or deidentify the personal data or, if this is not possible (for example, because personal data has been stored in backup archives), then we will not further process the personal data until deletion or deidentification is possible.
Your Privacy Rights
As a California resident, you may be able to exercise the following rights in relation to the personal information that we have collected about you (subject to certain limitations at law):
- The Right to Know. You have the right to confirm whether we are processing personal data about you and to obtain certain personalized details about the personal data we have collected about you, including:
- The categories of personal data collected;
- The categories of sources of the personal data;
- The categories of personal data that we have disclosed to third parties for a business purpose, and the categories of recipients to whom this information was disclosed;
- The categories of personal data shared for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes (if any), and the categories of recipients to whom the personal data were disclosed for those purposes; and
- The categories of personal data we have sold or shared about you (if any), and the categories of third parties to whom the information was sold or shared.
- The business or commercial purposes for collecting or, if applicable, selling or sharing the personal information.
- The Right to Access & Portability. You have the right to obtain access to the personal data we have collected about you and, where required by law, the right to obtain a copy of the personal data in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format that allows you to transmit the data to another entity without hindrance.
- The Right to Deletion. You have the right to request the deletion of personal data we have collected from you, subject to certain exceptions.
- The Right to Correction. You have the right to request that any inaccuracies in your Personal Data be corrected, taking into account the nature of the Personal Data and the purposes of the processing of your Personal Data.
- The Right to Limit Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information. You have the right to direct us to limit the use of your sensitive personal information to certain purposes, including to perform the services reasonably expected.
You also have the right to not receive retaliatory or discriminatory treatment in connection with a request to exercise the above rights. However, please note that if the exercise of these rights limits our ability to process personal data, we may no longer be able to engage with you in the same manner.
Submitting Privacy Rights Requests
To submit a request to exercise one of the privacy rights identified above, please:
- Complete our California Personnel and Job Applicant Rights Request Form; or
- Call us at (703) 724-3756 or (800) 283-0105 (Toll Free).
Before processing your request, we will need to verify your identity and confirm you are a resident of the State of California. In order to verify your identity, we will generally either require the successful authentication of your work-related account, or the matching of sufficient information you provide us to the information we maintain about you in our systems. We may at times need to request additional personal data from you, taking into consideration our relationship with you and the sensitivity of your request.
In certain circumstances, we may decline a privacy rights request, particularly where you are not a resident of the State of California or where we are unable to verify your identity.
In certain circumstances, you are permitted to use an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf through the designated methods set forth above where we can verify the authorized agent’s authority to act on your behalf. In order to verify the authorized agent’s authority, we generally require evidence of either (i) a valid power of attorney or (ii) a signed letter containing your name and contact information, the name and contact information of the authorized agent, and a statement of authorization for the request. Depending on the evidence provided, we may still need to separately reach out to you to confirm the authorized agent has permission to act on your behalf and to verify your identity in connection with the request.
Explanation of the Basis of Denials
If we deny your request, you have the right to request an explanation of the basis for such denial. All requests should be submitted by contacting the Telos Privacy Officer by email at email@example.com or by phone at (703) 724-3756 or (800) 283-0105 (Toll Free).
Updates to This CA Job Applicant Notice
We will update this CA Job Applicant Notice from time to time. When we make changes to this Job Applicant Notice, we will change the “Last Updated” date at the beginning of this Job Applicant Notice. All changes shall be effective from the date of publication unless otherwise provided in the notification.
If you have any questions or requests in connection with this CA Job Applicant Notice or other privacy-related matters, please contact the Telos Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (703) 724-3756 or (800) 283-0105 (Toll Free).